Everyone has somewhat of a routine for certain things they do in their lives. Weather it is that special route on your dog walk, the two coffees in the morning or having a special pair of underwear for that important interview.
Today is the day of my first half marathon of the year. I have already done three in my life time but I had made my New Years resolution for the year to run five half marathons in preparation for the London marathon. (Aiming to do that one by 2017!) Wish me luck guys. ✌️
So reverting back to my first ever half, in Newcastle back in 2013… I was shitting myself. I had months of training but mentally I was in a cloud of worry. What if I couldn’t finish the run? What if something bad happens? What if I Haven’t done enough? 13 miles…? Am I mad?!
So what kept me sane was to set up a ritual in preparation for all them miles. This ritual is what I have stuck with for every event I have been to ever since.
- I make sure I drink at least two litres of water the night before a long run. This is just to keep me hydrated throughout as I hate carrying water with me on a run.
- A HUGE pasta dinner the night before also gets me set for energy.
- Two bananas for breakfast. Anything more and the pavement would be seeing it!
- Lucozade. Won’t be drinking the lot but having the bigger bottle makes me feel safer knowing I have lots of sugar!
- A small bottle of water. To take with me for before and afters. Having a handy person to carry your crap around with you always helps…
This the exact ritual I carry out for every run I do. It does help but I guess it’s more for my mind set. If I have all of these items, I naturally feel ready for my half marathon. Without these, I would be an anxious mess.
So what is your routine for certain events? Would be interesting to know I’m not the only one!